Vine Cliff Winery was established in 1871, when 500 acres were carved out of the George Yount estate. One of the first bonded wineries in the United States, and the first in Napa to plant Bordeaux varietals on a commercial scale, Vine Cliff was one of the region’s most successful wineries through the end of the 19th Century. A series of natural problems drove the winery under in the early 20th Century, with the land remaining fallow until it was purchased by Nell Sweeney for her family in 1985. Now, under the leadership of Rob Sweeney, the family’s oldest son, Vine Cliff has regained its position as a leader in the production of superior Napa Valley wines.
As Proprietress, Nell has been the vision and the driving force behind the winery’s development and has worked closely with eldest son Rob to regain Vine Cliff’s position as a leader in the production of superior Napa Valley wines.